Sharing the road with other vehicles is inherently dangerous. This danger is multiplied when tanker trucks are entered into the equation. These trucks often haul hazardous, highly flammable liquids or freight. Not surprisingly, accidents involving tanker trucks frequently result in serious injury, and even death, because those hazardous materials run the risk of causing an explosion or fires.
The law firm of Rubin, Glickman, Steinberg & Gifford, P.C. has over sixty-five years of experience handling tanker truck accidents and can help you pursue the compensation you deserve. Even if you have not been involved in an accident with these vehicles, you most likely will interact with them on your daily commute here in Pennsylvania. With that in mind, there are some key pieces of information regarding tanker truck accidents that you should know.
Why Are Tanker Trucks So Dangerous?
As mentioned above, the cargo that tanker trucks carry (i.e., chemicals, gasoline, and radioactive materials) are usually extremely hazardous and compound the already-dangerous nature of accidents between trucks and regular vehicles. There are other, more common causes of tanker truck accidents. These causes include:
- Fatigued driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Unsafe lane changes
- Distracted driving
- Inexperienced drivers
- Improperly or unsafely loaded cargo
- Negligent motorists who initiate an accident with the truck
- Bad weather
- Low lighting
- Brake failure or tire failure
- Poor road surface conditions
All of the items listed above contribute to tanker truck accidents. If you have been injured in a tanker truck accident, you should not hesitate to contact an experienced attorney who can help you pursue compensation for your injuries.
Common Injuries in Tanker Truck Accidents
Because tanker trucks often carry hazardous materials, accident victims are more likely to suffer second and third-degree burns. Tanker trucks also transport industrial chemicals as well as non-hazardous materials (i.e., water or alcohol). Accidents involving tanker trucks can be differentiated from other types of accidents due to the injuries they cause. Common injuries resulting from tanker truck accidents include:
- Chemical exposure
- Internal injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
If you were injured in a tanker truck accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you should be compensated for your injuries. A skilled personal injury lawyer may be able to help you obtain the compensation you deserve.
How Will I Be Compensated for My Injuries?
More than likely, the injuries suffered in an accident with a tanker truck will be more severe and longer lasting than injuries sustained in a typical car accident. Those involved in a tanker truck accident could receive the following damages from a successful lawsuit:
- The cost of your past and future medical bills
- The value of any lost wages as a result of your accident
- Your reduced capacity to earn a living, if your injuries resulted in a permanent disability
- The value of any property that was damaged or destroyed in the crash
- Your physical pain and suffering
- Your mental anguish and reduced quality of life
Our experienced attorneys have the knowledge and understanding needed to handle the insurance companies and put your claim in the best possible position to prevail.
How a Tanker Truck Accident Lawyer Can Help You
If you were injured in a tanker truck accident, you are likely in no condition to wage a major legal battle against a trucking company. Here are some of the ways our truck accident lawyers can help:
- Investigating your claim and identifying all potentially liable parties and sources of compensation
- Gathering evidence to support your claim
- Handling all your legal communication to ensure you do not say anything that could jeopardize your claim
- Negotiating for the maximum possible settlement
- Preparing your case for trial if you do not receive a fair settlement offer
- Helping you find the right doctors and other specialists to help you get back on your feet
Experiencing a tanker truck accident can be traumatic. As the victim of such an accident, you need skilled legal counsel to guide you through the legal process as you seek compensation for your injuries.
Contact the Knowledgeable Pennsylvania Tanker Truck Accident Attorneys at Rubin, Glickman, Steinberg & Gifford, P.C.
The experienced, skilled team at Rubin, Glickman, Steinberg & Gifford, P.C. can help you navigate the complex process of bringing a lawsuit against a trucking company. We are pleased to offer free consultations, which can be arranged by calling (215) 822-7575 or contacting us through our website.