Divorce Lawyers in Skippack, Pennsylvania

Experienced Family Law Attorneys in Skippack Help Clients Through Divorce Process

Today, most divorces are filed pursuant to Pennsylvania’s “no-fault” divorce statute. In a no-fault divorce, the spouses agree that their marriage has become “irretrievably broken” and there is no hope for reconciliation. However, even when spouses agree to seek a no-fault divorce, this is merely the first step in obtaining a divorce. Couples who amicably agree to end their marriage can quickly become contentious once they must sit down to address the details of a divorce, such as dividing assets, establishing alimony, arranging child custody, and calculating child support.

Getting A Divorce And Have Questions? We Can Help, Tell Us What Happened.

At Rubin, Glickman, Steinberg & Gifford, P.C., our skilled Skippack divorce attorneys understand how the issues in a divorce can be critical to your and your family’s future. We also know that it can be very difficult to try and reach an agreement with your spouse whom you’ve already decided to end your marriage to when you and your family’s future are on the line. We strive to provide our clients with compassionate and effective legal representation as they go through the divorce process in Skippack. We provide each of our clients with personalized attention and support, knowing that not only is divorce a difficult time for our clients but that a personalized approach is the best chance at obtaining a favorable outcome for our clients. When you retain us to represent you, you can be assured that we will take the time to understand what is most important to you and will work hard to obtain the best possible outcome for you.

The Process of a Divorce in Skippack, PA

Divorce typically requires a couple to undertake a division of shared assets and liabilities, division of parenting time, and calculation of financial support. In almost all cases, the process of obtaining a divorce will involve:

  • Filing a complaint — one spouse will file a complaint for divorce with the court; this legally begins the divorce process
  • Service of process — the spouse who filed the complaint is then required to serve the complaint along with other papers on the spouse; court rules specify a time period in which service must be accomplished
  • File motions for temporary measures — the spouses may file motions with the court to obtain temporary measures that will be in place during the pendency of the divorce proceedings; for example, a spouse may request spousal support, or the spouses may need to establish a parenting plan for their children
  • Negotiate a settlement agreement — if the relationship between the spouses is not too acrimonious, it may be possible for the spouses to resolve any outstanding issues in their divorce without requiring the court to make determinations on those issues
  • Finalize the divorce — regardless of whether the court has had to make determinations for a divorcing couple or whether they are able to resolve their disputes without court intervention, the details of the divorce, including equitable distribution, child custody and child support, and alimony will be incorporated into a judgment of divorce issued by the court

Get Advice From An Experienced Skippack, PA Divorce Attorney. All You Have To Do Is Call 215-822-7575 To Receive Your Free Case Evaluation.

Our experienced divorce lawyers in Skippack are always here to explain and walk you through each step of the divorce process.

Compassionate Family Lawyers in Skippack Address Client Needs During Divorce Proceedings

Even if you and/or your spouse have decided to seek a no-fault divorce, you will still need to observe certain waiting periods. For example, if your spouse declines to consent to a no-fault divorce, you will need to observe a one year period of physical separation from your spouse, during which time you will also need to communicate to your spouse your intent to end the marriage. Even when you and your spouse both consent to the divorce, you will also need to observe a 90-day waiting period after the complaint for divorce has been filed.

No matter the length or steps in the process, at Rubin, Glickman, Steinberg & Gifford P.C our attorneys work tirelessly to help you through the divorce process and ensure that your rights are protected at every step. As a comprehensive family law firm, we will provide you with all the support you need to get through your divorce and to confidently move on with your life.

Contact Us Today to Schedule a Free Consultation with our Skippack Divorce Attorney

When you are facing the prospect of a divorce, you most likely have many important questions about your and your family’s future. You need a compassionate, dedicated, experienced divorce attorney in Skippack, PA who is prepared to be with you through every aspect of your divorce. If you have questions about or need assistance with a divorce in Skippack, call our firm at 215-822-7575 or send us a message through our Contact Us page on our website to schedule a free confidential consultation with one of our knowledgeable divorce attorneys.

Frequently Asked Questions about Divorce in Skippack

FAQ: If I decide to file for divorce, how long will it take before the court issues a divorce decree?

The length of a divorce proceeding depends on many different factors. If both spouses consent to a divorce, do not have to observe a one-year waiting period, and have no assets to divide or children for whom custody and support must be determined, the quickest that a divorce can take is approximately four months. Once issues begin arising in a divorce, it is extremely difficult to pinpoint a timeline for a divorce. In most cases, the length of a divorce proceeding is dictated by the complexities of the issues facing the spouses, their ability to agree on resolutions to those issues, and the availability of the court.

FAQ: I’ve just been served with divorce papers. What should I do?

If you have been served with papers for a no-fault divorce, the first thing you should remember is that you have up to a year to decide whether you want to consent to the divorce — a spouse seeking a no-fault divorce that is not consented to by the other spouse must observe a one year period of separation. If you’ve been served with divorce papers, you should contact us as soon as possible to schedule a consultation with a member of our legal team to begin discussing your legal rights and options. If being served with divorce papers was a surprise to you, it is very likely that your spouse has been contemplating divorce for a long time; in some cases, that is indicative that the spouse seeking divorce has taken steps, such as hiding assets, to put themselves in a more advantageous position during the divorce proceeding.