Bucks County Underinsured / Uninsured Accident Lawyer

Typically, if you have been involved in an accident through no fault of your own, you would file a claim and pursue compensation from the at-fault party. But, this is not always the case. The other driver may be uninsured or underinsured. In these cases, recovering your losses may be more complicated. 

If you are in this situation, our talented Bucks County legal team at Rubin, Glickman, Steinberg & Gifford, P.C. may be able to help you understand the steps to take and how these types of cases work. Our uninsured and underinsured accident lawyers are well-versed in underinsured and uninsured accident claims, so we are prepared to achieve the compensation you deserve.

Understanding Uninsured and Underinsured Coverage in Pennsylvania

An uninsured motorist is someone who does not have auto insurance coverage, so they do not have an insurance company for you to turn to for compensation. If the uninsured driver has other sources of money and assets, we may be able to help file a lawsuit against the uninsured driver. 

An underinsured motorist refers to an individual who does not have enough coverage to compensate you for your losses. These cases may be more complex because two insurance companies have to agree on a settlement. Our skilled uninsured and underinsured accident lawyers may be able to help you in this situation and ensure the insurance companies do not lowball you.

Uninsured and Underinsured Car Insurance Policies in Pennsylvania

According to Pennsylvania law, insurance companies must offer motorists the option to add uninsured and underinsured benefits to their policy. These benefits include the following:

  • Uninsured motorist benefits (UM): This additional coverage allows you to receive compensation for your injuries if an uninsured driver hits you.
  • Underinsured motorist benefits (UIM): This covers your injuries if a driver with insufficient insurance coverage causes the accident. 

While these policies further protect you, insurance companies may still make it difficult for you to receive compensation. Our dedicated uninsured and underinsured accident attorneys have the skills and experience needed to negotiate with insurance companies and ensure these policies are honored so you achieve a fair settlement.

Proving Fault in Uninsured and Underinsured Accidents in Pennsylvania

After sustaining injuries in an accident involving an uninsured or underinsured driver, you must provide proof of their fault to recover damages. Therefore, you will need to present evidence of the following:

  • The uninsured or underinsured driver caused the accident
  • The at-fault party did not have insurance or enough coverage to adequately compensate you
  • The value of your case
  • You qualify for these damages through your insurance policy

Gathering evidence to prove these points may be difficult to do on your own. Our seasoned attorneys may be able to assist you in gathering information and evidence to present the strongest case possible and better your chances of a successful outcome.

Can You Recover Damages After an Accident Involving an Uninsured or Underinsured Driver?

In Pennsylvania, you can recover damages after being struck by an uninsured or underinsured driver if you have UM and UIM benefits. These policies allow you to receive reimbursement for your losses, which may include the following:

  • Hospital bills
  • Ambulance ride
  • Current and future medical bills
  • Funeral costs
  • Lost wages and benefits due to missed work
  • Rehabilitation and other treatment
  • Reduced quality of life
  • Pain and suffering
  • Emotional distress
  • Surgery

Please note UM and UIM benefits do not cover damage to your vehicle or other property. However, you can stack them, so your coverage limit increases when you have more vehicles on your policy. 

What Goes Into Filing an Uninsured or Underinsured Accident Claim in Pennsylvania?

Claims involving uninsured or underinsured drivers differ from the typical personal injury claim. Firstly, in most personal injury cases, you have two years to file your claim, but in cases with an uninsured or underinsured driver, you have four years to file. This four-year period starts when the insurer denies coverage or when you discover the driver has inadequate coverage. While this may seem like a long time, recovery time and other delays can get in the way. Our Pennsylvania uninsured and underinsured accident lawyers may be able to help you ensure your claim is filed properly and within the statute of limitations.

The uninsured and underinsured accident claims process also works differently if you were in another person’s car when the accident occurred. In this case, you would turn to the insurance company whose policies cover the car you were in at the time of the incident instead of your own. Therefore, even if you have UM or UIM benefits with your insurance, you would have to obtain these benefits from the insurance company covering the car involved

Consult an Uninsured/Underinsured Accident Lawyer at Rubin, Glickman, Steinberg & Gifford, P.C.

We understand the legal process that follows an accident involving an uninsured or underinsured driver can be confusing, especially because the laws regarding them constantly change. Due to the complex nature of these claims, our uninsured and underinsured accident attorneys may be able to help you throughout the entire process and better your chances of achieving the compensation you deserve.

At Rubin, Glickman, Steinberg & Gifford, P.C., our professional and trustworthy legal team has served the Bucks County area for over 65 years. Our award-winning legal services help victims seek justice, work with insurance companies, and achieve the best possible outcome. To schedule a free consultation, fill out our contact form or call us at (215) 822-7575.